What I've Read

Sunday, October 6, 2013

Book Review: Where the Stars Still Shine

Where the Stars Still ShineWhere the Stars Still Shine by Trish Doller
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Firstly, I really liked this book. I will probably read it again and I will DEFINITELY use it in my classroom. That being said, there were some weak spots.

Pros: Excellent character development and story arc within a relatively short period of time. The main character experienced major changes from the beginning to the end of the story and showed maturity and growth. Actually, all of the major characters are surprisingly well developed. The imagery Doller uses is phenomenal. She uses lovely and interesting metaphors in her descriptions. It also includes such a beautiful and realistic representation of mental illness that is severely lacking in YA literature. I also love the big crazy Greek family!

Cons: There were some instances where authenticity was an issue for me. I felt like some of Callie's reactions were unrealistic. It seemed to me like she would be the kind of person to push back more during certain instances where in the book she passively went along with it, but at the same time, I understand why she didn't.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment